Video Testimonials – Worth The Hassle?
All estate agents should be on the lookout for reviews, testimonials and recommendations from previous and existing clients. These reviews provide new clients and customers with confidence you are the agent they should trust.
However, many agents find obtaining reviews to be a challenging prospect, and this means many estate agents believe video testimonials aren’t worth the hassle.
Understandably, there is more work involved, it requires the customer to engage you even more, and it might require them having access to technology. Also, unlike written reviews, there is no leading platform to place these testimonials on, or a standardised format that helps people quickly understand what is on offer.
With all that in mind, it is easy to see why some estate agents believe video testimonials day will come in the future, but it isn’t right now. This isn’t the case, and if you want to ensure you connect with clients in the most appropriate manner, video testimonials might make all the difference.
Customers want video content
Consider the following statistics highlighted by Hubspot in a 2020 article:
- 54% of people want to see more video content from marketers
- 83% of consumers worldwide prefer YouTube to watch video content
- 73% of consumers worldwide prefer seeing videos on social media that are “entertaining”
- In 2019, video was the #1 form of media used in content strategy, overtaking blogs and infographics
The reality is, you don’t need to know the statistics to understand the importance of video, especially now as we move forward from lockdown periods. The nature of marketing for estate agents has changed considerably since early 2020, and video is at the heart of everything.
It should make sense that a method which your audience uses daily, which makes it easier for them to connect with, and which they want to see is crucial for your business.
Video viewings need to be at the heart of your strategy in 2021 and beyond, and so do video testimonials.
Why are testimonials so important?
As an estate agent, you know reviews and testimonials are crucial. With so many estate agents operating in your local area, it is sometimes only the reviews that stand firms apart. This has always been the case, and it is not just about video testimonials, all reviews and testimonials matter.
Of course, in the current climate, and the way the world is moving, video testimonials will become ever more crucial for estate agents looking to differentiate themselves from their peers.
Some statistics, taken from a boast.io article, highlight the importance of testimonials:
- 92% of customers read online reviews before buying – cited from Big Commerce
- 72% of consumers say positive testimonials and reviews increase their trust in a business – again, cited from Big Commerce
- 70% of people trust reviews and recommendations from strangers – cited from Nielsen
- 88% of consumers say reviews influence their online purchasing decisions – cited from Vendasta
- 88% of consumers trust online testimonials and reviews as much as recommendations from friends or family – cited from Big Commerce
- 86% of customers said online reviews were at least “moderately important” when they were shopping for a new product – cited from Statista
- 72% of consumers will take action only after reading a positive review – cited from Search Engine Watch
What makes a good video testimonial?
A good video testimonial is one which makes prospective new clients identify themselves in the space of the person who is talking.
If other people recognise the problems your previous clients endured or they feel the same emotions that they do, what they say will resonate with them. A good video testimonial makes people feel something, and it places your company as the one that solves these problems.
As an estate agent, your clients are likely experiencing concerns about selling their home, or perhaps they have been frustrated at the difficulties they’ve faced in selling their property. If you have resolved these problems for other clients, you can do so again, and this is what you want to get across in your video.
So, a good video testimonial relies on emotion, but don’t forget the technical aspect. A customer might give you a positive review, but if people can’t hear them, or if the video is shaky and amateurish, the message will be lost.
Therefore, it is just as important to focus on creating an appealing video, as one that connects with your audience. We cover both of these aspects now.
If you plan on recording the video testimonial yourself, here are some best practice tips to consider:
- Use reliable equipment – This can be your smartphone as opposed to specialist equipment, but for the best results, consider investing in a stand and a specialist mic – this will ensure your content packs the most punch
- Have a good idea of what is being said – While you don’t want to have a script that is word for word, it is helpful to have a clear idea of what will be said, so make sure you have a beginning, a middle and an end. If your audience is recording a video clip for you, advise them to plan their review in advance and have a structure to it
- Make sure the testimonial has a why – If there is an issue you have helped resolve or there was a particular reason you made life easier or better for your client, make sure it is front and centre in the testimonial, as this will help you connect with prospective clients
- While statistics are important, emotions matter – It is helpful to offer evidence of what you can do, but for many people, it is the emotional aspect that makes the difference, and which stands your business apart from other firms, so try to ensure there is an emotional aspect to the testimonial
- Be brief – While you want the testimonial to make a compelling case for your business, it is best to be concise
- Enhance the video with graphics and text to ensure it looks as great as possible – You can make a video more informative and entertaining by splicing in logos, text and graphics (but make sure they are relevant)
What questions should I ask during a video testimonial?
Sometimes, it is the questions you ask which elicit the best answers during a video testimonial. Here are some questions estate agents should consider asking clients when creating a video testimonial:
- What problem were you trying to solve when you hired us?
- What was your situation like before you used our service?
- How did you find us?
- What made you choose our estate agent service?
- Were there any obstacles in choosing our service?
- Was there anything which made you happy about working with us?
- Have we done anything which exceeded your expectations?
- Would you recommend us to friends and family members, and if so, why?
- Was there anything about our service which surprised you?
- What is your current situation like after you benefitted from our service?
These questions should help your clients deliver reviews and testimonials you will be delighted to share with your audience.
If you are an estate agent looking to win new clients, you need to showcase how you have helped existing clients. A great way to achieve this is through testimonials, and right now, video testimonials are in demand. At Agent Media, we are social media and content specialists, and we are pleased to say we have assisted estate agents and agencies connect with their audience, develop their reputation and gain instructions.